Monday, December 5, 2016

Birthday Party!


We have officially parented two children for a whole year! Because their birthdays are only 12 days apart, we decided to celebrate them together, and because both of them were born right when holiday craziness begins, 
we celebrated a little early with a fish-themed party on the Sunday before Thanksgiving.


Our beautiful and passionate Mariposa L'abri turned two! In the short time since, she's stopped using her pacifier when she goes to sleep, and tonight is her first night sleeping in a toddler bed instead of a crib!
She's smart, funny, and a joy to have for a daughter, even while she keeps us on our toes while she tests all boundaries.




William Roy Jackson V turned one yesterday! The differences between him and his sister are amazing. He doesn't have a very extensive vocabulary, and Mary was walking everywhere by now, whereas William walks just enough to let us know that he's choosing to crawl. His mechanical mind, however, far surpasses where Mariposa was at this time last year. He loves to do things with his hands, whether it be throwing a ball, putting Weebles on the toy slide over and over, driving cars all over the house, or opening books to look at the pictures on his own.

These little ones bring the greatest joy I have ever felt, and yet have a knack for revealing the most impatient, self-serving parts of my heart. On the days when everyone is tired and cranky and whining non-stop, I have discovered that my greatest weapon against my own tendency to whine and be cranky is to remember that caring for these children is proclaiming the Gospel just as much as any other job may be. The way I respond to my children is preaching to them how our Heavenly Father responds to us. The way I discipline is a reflection of how my Heavenly Father disciplines me. It's a somber and weighty responsibility, and has definitely driven me to prayer again and again and again as I face my own inadequacy. What a blessing!

Also, they're adorable. 
Mariposa coloring with Great-Grandpa Weber
William getting his first haircut from Great-Grandma Dickey, and being so happy for the whole thing!
Mariposa got a tricycle! Her feet don't quite reach the pedals, but she still loves to "ride".
 It'll be perfect for the Rio Grande Bible Institute campus!
William wasn't sure he was quite old enough to wear a mustache yet, but he was a good sport.


Love and Peace,
Sarah Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment