Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Path of the Righteous

While I was in Texas the Lord encouraged me with Proverbs 4:18 which is my new theme verse. 
The path of the righteous is like the light of dawn. It shines brighter and brighter until the full day

It is very easy for me to pass over wonderful verses like this because as I read it I often think in my mind "Yeah, that's not much of a guarantee for me. I can hardly call myself a righteous or godly man." But as I read this verse it shot into my heart and I wanted it. This is a promise I want to claim for myself. It means a lot to me as I look at my life and wonder what path it will take. It meant a lot to me as I left Texas and all those crazy kids we had grown fond of so fast, and I wondered when will I ever come back? Will it be this good again? When? This verse doesn't just promises that the path will stay bright but that it will grow brighter! I will do what I can to claim this verse for myself. I will cling to Christ's righteousness. I will work out my salvation with fear and trembling. I will trust the Spirit to do his sanctifying work in me. Without Christ there's no way this verse could mean anything to me, but with him it is a joyful promise! My path will culminate in his presence! Brighter than anyplace I can imagine! 


Praise the Lord and his abundant mercy!


I think you can tell I really like this picture. It goes so well with this verse that I like so much
I want the light. I want the full day to come. I want to follow the righteous path.




 It reminds me of Pilgrim's Progress, which anyone who hasn't read should read. You can find it on Paperback Swap by the way (Paperback Swap is pretty cool by the way).








Now to contrast this, strangely enough, I just got in the mail (while I was in Texas) a book by John Bunyan called "Journey to Hell". It is about a man on a different path than Christian in the Pilgrim's Progress. I haven't started it yet so I don't know if its good or not, but I can't wait to find out. I just finished William Carey (which I also got off PPS by the way) so this book is next in line. 




Also, this evening I just read a passage in Job that really contrasts Proverbs 4:18. It is spoken by Bildad one of Job's friends, but I think it is still true. It reads...

"Can papyrus grow where there is no marsh? Can reeds flourish where there is no water?
While yet in flower and not cut down, they wither before any other plant.
Such are the paths of all who forget God; the hope of the godless shall perish."

So I hope this book by John Bunyan is an edifying reminder of what happens to those who tread the path of the wicked. 

Hey! And actually I got "Journey to Hell" off Paperback swap as well. (If you like books as much as me you should probably check it out)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment